Posted on January 17, 2016 at 9:50 PM
I recently did a Google search for Getbhavcopy and was surprized to see the number of sites offering fake versions of Getbhavcopy, along with crack and serial.
Google search for maliscious Getbhavcopy
What raised my suspicion was that Getbhavcopy was being offered with Serial and Crack, which does not make sense because Getbhavcopy has always been free and never required a serial to unlock its features.
I feel it was necessary to raise awareness about this in the community as such techniques are used by hackers to install malware and virus on your machines.
You can safeguard your machines by following these simple tips below :
- Always download Getbhavcopy from its official Getbhavcopy Download page. Do not download from links on the forum or blogs as some one can even post a malicious link on the forums or comment to blog post and I cannot control the same.
- When you download the zip file always check its MD5 hash with the one mentioned on the Getbhavcopy Download page. I strongly recommend WinMD5Free software to help you check the MD5. Read how to to use WinMD5Free software to check the MD5 hash of a file.
- I always follow the release of Getbhavcopy with a blog post. In the blog post I will always provide the link to the VirusTotal scan of the Getbhavcopy.exe file. You can verify the following details in the VirusTotal link and the Getbhavcopy.exe
- Check File Version in "File Detail" tab in the VirusTotal link and compare the same with the "Build Version" in the "About Getbhavcopy" tab of Getbhavcopy
- Check the MD5 hash of the Getbhavcopy.exe file on the "Additional Information" tab of VirusTotal link and compare the same with the MD5 hash that you can obtain for Getbhavcopy.exe file using WinMD5Free software mentioned above.
- Always use Getbhavcopy.exe that meets the above requirements - that way it is ensured that you are using Getbhavcopy that I have build and released and not something released by a hacker injected with malware.